Hello my friends,
I just wanted you all to know that I have not abandoned you. I have not forgotten you. I have kind of quit cooking this past week and I apologize for my starving non-cooking friends. But I’ve been in the process of wrapping up the school year and working on a novella.
Now, I’m coming to my friends here for help. Really just a read and critique. I’m going to put in my first two chapters below. I would really appreciate if my fellow writers would read and critique me. Love you bunches.
Chapter 1 Continue reading
What I’ve been up to lately. My husband finally okayed me making a page for his pictures! It’s under Mathes Photography. Let me know what you think. Any advice to make this better would be greatly appreciated!
I want to send out a great big happy Mother’s Day to all my friends. To all the moms, moms to be, moms who will be some day, dads who are being moms, moms who can’t physically be moms, and anyone else who wants to smile because you know I missed your category. I love you all!
Croque Monsieur (grilled ham and cheese sandwich on steroids) makes 4 sandwiches and chips and salsa.
The Mornay Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half & half
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Hot sauce
- 1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Melt butter in small sauce pan, add flour and stir with a whisk for 60-seconds to form a roux (kind of looks like a thick, yellowish cake batter, don’t let it turn brown).
- Slowly add half & half a little at a time whisking constantly.
- Allow sauce to simmer for a minute while adding cheeses, salt, pepper and hot sauce, then put aside.
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 4 slices of thick ham (I have our deli guy cut the meat on the highest setting)
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Optional: 4 eggs
- Place the bread on a baking sheet and bake in a 400-degree oven for 5 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional two minutes until toasted.
- Brush 4 of the toasted bread slices with dijon mustard.
- Top each with a thick slice of ham and 1/4 cup Swiss cheese.
- Top each with the second slice of bread.
- Pour 1/4 cup of mornay sauce over each sandwich and top with remaining Swiss cheese.
- Bake in 400-degree oven for 5-minutes. Switch oven heat to broiler and broil for 2-minutes until cheese turns a yummy golden brown.
- Optional: Top with a sunny side up egg right out of the broiler and if you have anymore sauce left, top the egg. (I don’t do this because I find those types of eggs disgusting.)
Homemade tortilla chips and salsa:
- Package of flour tortillas
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1 Small/medium Red onion
- 2 Medium jalepenos
- 1/8c Lime juice (I just squeeze what I can out of a small one)
- 2tbsp Minced garlic
Get a package of any size flour tortillas, cut into 8 sections (like a pizza), and throw into hot oil and fry until crisp, about 3-5 minutes.
- Dice tomatoes, onion, and jalepenos into tiny squares. (Dice means small squares. For the tomatoes, I cut off the stem end and throw that out and then cut the rest of the tomatoes into approximately 1/4 inch rounds. Then turn the rounds flat and cut them into 9 squares. Same for the onion. Jalepenos start by cutting off the stem and then in half. Scrap out the seeds and cut into several small squares.)
- Toss all that in a bowl. Add juice and garlic and stir all together.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
My friend Felicity over at Dark Chronicles has issued her new challenge. This is my answer to the call. I hope you enjoy. Please leave comments, and as always, happy reading!
“Seriously Paul!” she screamed across the kitchen. “Why do you constantly have to intervene on my behalf? I’m an adult, I can take care of my own business. I have told you before that if I complain about something, I just want you to listen and be supportive, not that I want you to fix it!” Continue reading
I have a friend here who is in desperate need to learn how to cook. I will start a series of recipes, at least once a week, to help him get a decent collection of easy, home-made recipes that most anyone can do.
The following is the recipe for fried pork chops, potatoes au gratin, and snapped green beans.
- 2 bone in pork chops
- Salt, course pepper, granulated garlic, paprika, chili powder, onion powder
- 1/2c. Italian style bread crumbs
- 1c. Flour